Palmitoylethanolamide also known as PEA is a fatty molecule found inside the human body, PEA is a naturally occurring lipid that falls under the fatty acid amides group. The medical properties of palmitoylethanolamide were found back in the 1950s. PEA heals various inflammation and neuropathic issues in the human body. The compound is naturally developed by the body’s immune system. However, the same compound is also found in plants and animals and can be extracted from external sources such as egg yolk, soy lecithin, alfalfa, milk, peanuts, and soybeans and can be used for its therapeutic properties.
How does Palmitoylethanolamide PEA work?
The human body doesn’t produce enough PEA which can be used to reduce inflammation and pain therefore people are recommended or prescribed to take PEA supplements to reduce inflammation and pain. On the consumption of PEA supplements, it binds itself to the target which switches off the inflammation function of the cell after the binding process. The supplement also stops the immune cells which are responsible for transmitting pain in the human body.
Benefits of Palmitoylethanolamide
- PEA is known for showing progressive results when taken with riluzole for Lou Gehrig’s disease or Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). ALS condition leads to motor-neuron degeneration and progressive paralysis.
- PEA supplements are prescribed to people suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the supplement help to reduce the pain and discomfort caused by the syndrome. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition which affects the hand, making people feel numbness and tingling in the entire hand except for the small finger.
- Palmitoylethanolamide controls the pain caused by diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia. Diabetic neuropathy condition inflicts pain in legs and feet and Fibromyalgia condition affects the musculoskeletal system.
- PEA when consumed with interferon-betala treats the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. This condition disables the communication between the brain and the rest of the body.
- Palmitoylethanolamide also treats and is effective against the condition of Glaucoma and Temporomandibular disorders.
Different individuals are prescribed different dosage of palmitoylethanolamide. There is no specific number of dosages determined by the experts for consumption, but it is advised Palmitoylethanolamide intake should be under 300-1,200 mg per day. For people consuming PEA supplements, it is advised that the number of dosages should be 350-400 mg thrice a day. The dosage duration of PEA should not exceed more than 2 months in total for avoiding any type of side effects.